Looking after your liver in menopause
Earlier I was talking about the importance of liver health and how this is often overlooked in perimenopause. Knowing the role of the liver the next step is how best to look after yours....
- Enjoy a fresh diet of vegetables and fruit as much as you can, top foods are blueberries, cranberries, grapefruit, grapes, your greens, nuts and olive oil. Beetroot juice is a real tonic for you liver and is great for energy too.
- Water, water, water....I know I talk about this a lot but it's vital not just for the liver but for your body in general
- Exercise, keeps everything flowing and will keep weight down.
- Milk Thistle, a wonderherb, its antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties make it a great friend of the liver. It is worth taking this for a month at a time to detox and nourish your liver.
- Be mindful of the foods that are enemies to your liver - sugar, caffeine, white bread, alcohol so try to avoid or limit where possible.
If you need help with perimenopause or menopause symptoms, Catherine provides a full coaching service (Wellnesswarrior.ie) to help women who are finding hormonal change challenging. It includes a lifestyle audit, a practical plan for movement/exercise, sleep, meditation and relaxation that works with your life. It includes nutrition for weight management and energy and recommendations for supplements.