Keep it Social
Recently Aisling and I were talking about the top tips for women in Menopause and inevitably this led is to anxiety and my view is if you can take away one piece of knowledge - it doesn't have to be food, diet etc but it's to Keep Social - stay connected with others face-to-face. I can't impress enough how important this is, there are so many lovely, warm women I have had the pleasure to work with whose social circle has shrunk - shrunk to such a small size that social outings/gatherings become a feared event. The more you shrink back from social interaction the harder it becomes to break through that barrier as time goes on....time does not make this easier.
Don't read this post lightly this is FOOD for your soul, Food for your heart - it's Essential.
- Put time in your weekly diary that includes physical interaction with others.....not an email, not digital but face to face
- Look for new opportunities/ hobbies to meet new people
- Say Yes to all social invites ! Unless you have a very valid reason to decline always say yes......
- Always be open to new friendships....we are just halfway through our journey in life, we are living longer, new people, new friendships will bring joy and learning into your life nourish the old friendships - make time, make that phone call - arrange that coffee date
- Share your challenges with your trusted friends - all of us face challenges at some point in time, daily, weekly, you will be surprised when you share your lack of sleep due to night sweats with that friend whose life seems perfect.....I guarantee you will get a shared issue in return. Life was never meant to be perfect.
You are not alone, we are all in this together. Social Anxiety can be very real at this time in your life, getting ahead of it and keeping a wide circle and network of friends is essential. The journey of Perimenopause is not simple, it has its ups and downs but having friends who make you feel supported, who make you laugh, who have your back make this journey all that bit easier.
My Second Spring E-book
The Best Friend’s Guide: Anxiety - A Practical Toolkit For Moving Beyond Anxiety at Menopause - $15
Thanks Girls another great book ! Well done My Second Spring, the advice is practical, down to earth and I’m already working on my toolkit. Thank you so much
Consult Catherine One-to-One
If you need help with perimenopause or menopause symptoms, Catherine provides a full coaching service (Wellnesswarrior.ie) to help women who are finding hormonal change challenging. It includes a lifestyle audit, a practical plan for movement/exercise, sleep, meditation and relaxation that works with your life. It includes nutrition for weight management and energy and recommendations for supplements.