Welcome to My Second Spring!
I’m Aisling, and I’ve created My Second Spring to provide a voice and resource for all of us during the time of transition and growth that is the menopause. Menopause is often an uncomfortable topic, still taboo for many of us.
About My Second Spring
Helping you to make informed decisions about your health at midlife and beyond.
My Second Spring provides a range of information and different approaches to allow women to discover how they feel about menopause. This will help us decide how we would like to navigate the change. The website features contributions from a wide variety of therapists who can help us deal with challenging symptoms using a variety of techniques and philosophies. The idea is to share information on health issues and look at the different parts of our lives that are changing at menopause. The overall aim of My Second Spring is to help you to feel your best, deal with unresolved issues and look fantastic!
In China the menopause is known as the Second Spring and it is regarded as a time when women often find a new and more confident voice. Women at midlife are valued for their wisdom and respected for their life experience. Menopause is considered to be a new and surefooted beginning. That sounds good to me! I think the menopause can be an opportunity for all of us. With the intensity of the childbearing years behind us, it's time to put ourselves first or at least a bit higher on the list. My hope is that you and I will have some fun as we navigate this transition together.
Here’s how we’ll do it - the website is organised into 8 main sections:
- Menopause: Here you will find out when and what the menopause is.
- Symptoms: Read about some of the most common menopause symptoms such as hot flushes, anxiety and insomnia.
- Treatments: Fear not, symptoms can be addressed by a wide range of Treatments and Therapies. In this section a great group of experts share their knowledge. It could be the medical approach that suits you or any one of a number of therapies from acupuncture to ayurveda, homeopathy or reflexology
- Lifestyle: This is where the wider aspects of living are up for discussion from exercise and nutrition to fashion and redecorating your changing home.
- Stories: Women who have been or are going through the menopause have shared their experience to help others gain perspective. If you have a story to share, please contact us. We'd be delighted to share it with other readers.
- Products: I have listed some supplements and books that I have found useful. Click on the product/book link for a short review. You might like them as well and there's an opportunity to buy them through our recommended suppliers. The small commisions received will help to fund the website.
- Blog: When I find something worth sharing or writing about I'll let you have it! Either my own thoughts and musings or the contribution of others to give a different angle on life. I'll share good articles and relevant products, books, reviews. Have your say by commenting or sending us an article for submission.
- Events: We've had some brilliant events to explore topics in more detail - Jill Kerby advised on our finances at midlife, Emily Power Smith told us what to expect from sex at midlife, Annie Gribbin advised on best skincare and make-up, Anna Collins and Paula Mee spoke to us about nutrition.
Please take a little time to have a look at the website and to explore the areas that you find most interesting.
My Second Spring will let you know what to expect and how best to manage and thrive at this exciting but sometimes daunting time of life. We will share top tips, tricks and tools that have helped other women to live with menopause symptoms that can be very challenging at times. I am on this journey too and like many others, I’m not quite sure which stop I’m at. I hope that you will join me on the trip by commenting on blog posts. If we all share our experiences, then we’ll provide new perspectives for everyone.
Are you ready? Then let’s begin...
Have a look at what the media have said about My Second Spring.
Join us at one of our Events - we'd love you to come along.